The Pediatric Advanced Life Support Course is intended for pediatricians, emergency physicians, family physicians, mid-levels, nurses, paramedics, respiratory therapists, and other healthcare providers who originate and guide advanced life support in pediatric emergencies. SoCal EMT Training Institute is authorized as a Training Center for the Pediatric Advanced Life Support Course by the American Heart Association.
Educational Objectives: At the conclusion of the program, participants will be able to:
• Identify an infant or child at risk of cardiopulmonary arrest;
• Identify strategies for prevention;
• Exhibit the perceptive and psychomotor skills necessary for reviving and stabilizing an infant or child in respiratory failure, shock, or cardiopulmonary arrest;
• Demonstrate the use of the various airway and oxygen adjuncts and methods for optimum ventilation & airway control;
• Determine normal vs. abnormal cardiac patterns and the application of appropriate pharmacologic and electrical therapies to them;
• Explain the indications & dosages of medications used in cardiopulmonary arrest and the effects on the cardiovascular system;
• Perform techniques to obtain vascular access in infants and children via intraosseous cannulation (needle insertion) using EZIO
• Execute progressive skills in assessing and treating cardiopulmonary arrest in a pediatric patient.